In 1881 Father Halde the founding pastor of Ste. Marie church purchased a parcel of land for the establishment of the Mt. Calvary cemetery. In 1900 Father Hevey, the second pastor of Ste. Marie church, added to the cemetery’s acreage, and in 1904 he built a receiving tomb. Father Davignon added seven acres in 1907 and Father Leclerc added another 34 acres in 1922.
In 1925 Father Leclerc erected the Mount Calvary Monument which embellished our beautiful cemetery.
In 1964 Monsignor Wilfred Chartier, as director of Mount Calvary Cemetery , began construction of a mausoleum. This original chapel was named the Chapel of the Holy Rosary. It was built for 264 crypts.
Many beautiful changes have been added over the years, in 1975 five new chapels were added to the exsisting mausoleum. This increased the crypt space to over 1300. In 1996 another chapel was started. The Chapel of American Saints is a beautiful chapel with stained glass windows and vaulted ceilings. The focal point of the chapel is the handcarved life sized crucifix.
The History of This Sculpture of “Our Lord On The Cross”
This spectacular image of “Our Lord Nailed To The Wood” is composed of two different motifs/styles. It is drawn from the dramatic interpretations of the work of two differently tempered artists. Both artists were German nationals, lived in the 16th century, and were known the world over, each one, in his own field of art and were recognized as one of the most respected and talented artists of our time.
Gruenwald Matthias – Artist – Painter of the German Renaissance Era.
Stoss Veit – Sculptor of Gothic Style – reflecting to a high profile era that is still admired by our world today.
As this final outcome shows – The two different concepts favored by each artist as his own, has formed itself into a dramatic image that speaks so loudly about our Faith and Beliefs.
The wood of the corpus is a well seasoned Linden Wood (Known in the U.S. as Bass Wood). The wood was naturally air-dried at least 2 – 3 years before it was laminated into a sizable block for sculpting. The corpus was sculpted in its entirety by hand.
The painting of the sculpture was done by oil wash technique. The mixed oil colors were thinned down almost to a watercolor and many coats were applied after each preceding coat had thoroughly dried.
The entire project took 9 months to complete.
Rope was used to secure and hold fast each arm by the wrist and both ankles to the wood as nails were driven through into the wood. This gruesome and painful process then completed the crucifixion.
The Cross is known as the “Oberammergau Styled Cross”. The name comes from the small village nested high in the Alps where every 10 years the Passion of Our Lord is reenacted by the local folks. The style of this particular Cross has no significant fact to the early crucifixion procedure.
The Cross is composed of three (3) individual pieces, the upright long beam, the down curved short beam and a short, straight wood piece was used as a wedge to keep the two beams securely connected to each other.
“I feel obliged to reflect on these two above named artists and their outstanding talent and use their individual expertise portrayed in their art as a guiding base for this sculpting.”
Louis Sarvary – Sculptor